Simple jQuery Dropdowns
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repository.li.mahidol.ac.th/dspace/handle/123456789/15094
Title: Predictors of family management behavior for children with thalassemia
Authors: Siriyupa Sananreangsak
Punyarat Lapvongwatana
Kamonmarn Virutsetazin
Paranee Vatanasomboon
Nan Gaylord
Mahidol University
Srinakharinwirot University
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Keywords: Medicine
Issue Date: 1-Jan-2012
Citation: Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health. Vol.43, No.1 (2012), 160-171
Abstract: Children with thalassemia can thrive with quality care by their families. The purpose of this study was to examine predictors of family care behavior by family caregivers of children with thalassemia. Eighty-eight family caregivers for children with thalassemia aged 1-16 years were recruited by purposive sampling from in-patient and out-patient clinics in an eastern regional hospital in Thailand. Research instruments were 5 self-administered questionnaires: 1) demographics of family caregivers, 2) perceived family management, 3) medical adherence, 4) health literacy, and 5) family management behavior. Data were analyzed by percentages, means, standard deviations, Pearson's product moment correlation and multiple regression. The strongest predictor for family management behavior was perceived family management (B=0.550, p < 0.001), it accounted for 26.3% of the variance. Health literacy (B=0.337, p=0.024) accounted for 4.5% of the variance. When these two dependent measures were combined, they accounted for 30.8% of the variance (R 2 =0.308, F=18.933, p < 0.001). Within the three subscales of family management behavior (medical, role, and psychosocial management), medical adherence, health literacy and perceived family management, together accounted for 22.6% of the variance for medical management. Perceived family management and health literacy together accounted for 30.3% of the variance in role management. Perceived family management accounted for 20.9% of the variance in psychosocial management. These findings suggest a tailored intervention program should emphasize promoting family management and increasing health literacy to improve the quality of family management behavior for children with thalassemia.
URI: https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?partnerID=HzOxMe3b&scp=84856145394&origin=inward
http://repository.li.mahidol.ac.th/dspace/handle/123456789/15094
ISSN: 01251562
Appears in Collections:Scopus 2011-2015

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.