Simple jQuery Dropdowns
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repository.li.mahidol.ac.th/dspace/handle/123456789/22624
Title: Prolactin (PRL) release in normal and growth hormone deficient children after oral metoclopramide
Authors: C. Preeyasombat
A. Sriphrapradang
P. Mahachoklertwattana
L. Choubtam
Mahidol University
Keywords: Medicine
Issue Date: 1-Dec-1993
Citation: Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand. Vol.76, No.SUPPL. 2 (1993), 34-41
Abstract: Studies were done to determine plasma PRL in response to oral MC 0.2 mg/kp in 17 normal children (NC), 12 males and 5 females aged between 4.7-12.8 years and in 26 idiopathic growth hormone deficient children (IGHD), 15 M, 11 F, between 1.5-14.7 years old. Peak serum GH levels above 10 ng/ml after clonidine test and during insulin induced hypoglycemia were used to distinguish these 2 groups. None of the subjects had secondary sex characteristics. Adrenocortical and thyroid disorders were excluded. The subjects were fasted overnight. Blood samples for PRL determination were obtained at 0, 60, 90, 120 min after oral MC. In 17 NC the basal serum PRL values ranged from 0 to 19.2 ng/ml with the mean ±SL of 7.24±1.7 ng/ml. The peak serum PRL response to MC ranges were from 33 to 127 ng/ml with the mean ±SD and ±SE of 64.45±24.22 and ±5.88 ng/ml respectively giving the cut point-2SD value of 16.01 ng/ml. Among 261 GHD, only 2 patients (7.69%) being all male, had peak PRL response to MC below 16.01 ng/ml, whereas, the rest (92.31%) had peak PRL levels above it. It is concluded that oral MC 0.2 mg/kg is the potent PRL stimulator in children, which can be safely used to test pituitary PRL secretion effectively. The majority (92.31%) of idiopathic GH deficient children had adequate serum PRL response to oral MC, whilst 7.69 per cent disclosed inadequate response which might indicate different etiologies.
URI: https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?partnerID=HzOxMe3b&scp=0027705094&origin=inward
http://repository.li.mahidol.ac.th/dspace/handle/123456789/22624
ISSN: 01252208
Appears in Collections:Scopus 1991-2000

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.