Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Inactivation of Clostridium difficile spores by microwave irradiation|
|Authors:||Suvash Chandra Ojha|
|Keywords:||Immunology and Microbiology|
|Citation:||Anaerobe. Vol.38, (2016), 14-20|
|Abstract:||© 2015 Elsevier Ltd. Spores are a potent agent for Clostridium difficile transmission. Therefore, factors inhibiting spores have been of continued interest. In the present study, we investigated the influence of microwave irradiation in addition to conductive heating for C. difficile spore inactivation in aqueous suspension. The spores of 15 C. difficile isolates from different host origins were exposed to conductive heating and microwave irradiation. The complete inhibition of spore viability at 107CFU/ml was encountered following microwave treatment at 800 W for 60 s, but was not observed in the conductive-heated spores at the same time-temperature exposure. The distinct patterns of ultrastructural alterations following microwave and conductive heat treatment were observed and the degree of damages by microwave was in the exposure time-dependent manner. Microwave would therefore be a simple and time-efficient tool to inactivate C. difficile spores, thus reducing the risk of C. difficile transmission.|
|Appears in Collections:||Scopus 2016-2017|
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.