Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Acute toxicity of nimbolide and nimbic acid in mice, rats and hamsters|
|Keywords:||Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmaceutics|
|Citation:||Toxicology Letters. Vol.30, No.2 (1986), 159-166|
|Abstract:||Nimbolide and nimbic acid are toxic to mice only when given i.p. and i.v. but they are less toxic to rats and hamsters. The LD 50 values of a single i.p. administration of nimbolide to adult male, female and weanling mice were 225, 280 and 240 mg/kg body wt, respectively, and its i.v. LD 50 value was decreased to 24 mg/kg body wt in adult male mice. No fatality was observed when nimbolide was given i.g., i.m. and s.c. to adult male mice. Estimated LD 50 values of nimbolide in rats and hamsters were somewhat higher than 600 and 500 mg/kg body wt. After 12-23 h i.p. administration of a lethal dose, most animals died of possible dysfunctions in kidney (tubular necrosis), small intestine (hemorrhagic necrosis), pancreas (acinar cell necrosis) and liver (mild fatty infiltration and focal necrosis). In contrast, mice and rats given a lethal dose of nimbolide (i.v.) died of a marked and sudden drop in arterial blood pressure and respiratory paralysis within about 1-18 min. Nimbic acid was less toxic to mice with an i.v. LD 50 value of 265 mg/kg body wt and i.p. and i.g. LD 50 values of higher than 600 mg/kg body wt. The possible cause of death induced by nimbic acid may be similar to that of nimbolide given i.v. and this is a sudden hypotensive shock. © 1986.|
|Appears in Collections:||Scopus 1969-1990|
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.